Dallas protest shooting: 11 police shot, five dead, suspects in custody – live updates
- Intensive search underway for suspects who shot officers
- Protests sweep US over fatal shootings of Philando Castile and Alton Sterling
What we know so far – by Claire Phipps @ 11.30 pm Thursday
- Five police officers have been killed after shots were fired during an anti-violence protest in Dallas, Texas, on Thursday evening… July 7.
- Officials said 11 officers in total had been shot. Some are Dallas police department officers and some Dart transit officers.
- A man holding a long rifle in a photo circulated by the police department has turned himself in, authorities said. It is not clear if he is a suspect in the attack. He has now been released.
- Another man, whom police have described as a suspect, is in custody after a shoot-out with officers.
- Authorities said a suspicious package has also been found.
- The situation remains active.