Senior Counsel appointed for the first time in 20 years
Demerara Waves: Denis Chabrol – December 31, 2016
“His Excellency Brigadier David Granger, President of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana, is pleased to appoint the following persons as Senior Counsel, learned in the law in Guyana, on account of their exemplary experience, erudition, excellence and diligence in the practice of the law, with effect from January 1, 2017,” the Ministry of the Presidency said in a statement.
- Mr. Neil Aubrey Boston, admitted to the Bar in November 1982, for service with distinction as a trial lawyer for over 34 years.
- Mr. Charles John Ethelwood Fung-A-Fat, admitted to the Bar in August 1983, for service as Parliamentary Counsel and Deputy Chief Parliamentary Counsel for over 33 years.
- Justice Alison Roxane McLean George-Wiltshire, admitted to the Bar in October 1990, for service as a Senior State Counsel, Assistant Director of Public Prosecution, Deputy Director of Public Prosecution and Director of Public Prosecution.
- Mr. Clifton Mortimer Llewelyn John, admitted in 1952 first as a solicitor and then as a barrister, for his practice in both he High Court and the Magistrate’s Court.
- Mr. Rafiq Turhan Khan, admitted to the Bar in November 1984, for his service as an advocate, member and Co-Chairman of the Legal Practitioners Committee.
- Mr. Vidyanand Persaud, called to the Bar in London in July 1976 and admitted to the Bar in Guyana in October 1976, for his service as an arbitrator in disputes and in private practice for 40 years.
- Ms. Rosalie Althea Robertson, admitted to the Bar in November 1983, for her service as a Legal Advisor and Corporate Secretary for 33 years and as Registrar of Lands.
- Justice Claudette Margot Cecile Singh, called to the Bar in London in 1973 and admitted to the Bar in Guyana in 1976, for her service as the Deputy Solicitor General and as a Puisne Judge and a Justice of Appeal and her leadership in spearheading the Modernisation of the Justice Reform Project, and as the Guyana Police Force’s Legal Advisor.
- Honourable Basil Williams, admitted to the Bar in October 1983, for service in the practice of the law in both criminal and civil law for over 33 years and as Attorney General and Minister of Legal Affairs.
Senior Counsel appointments were last made in 1996.
– AG Basil Williams, Claudette Singh, Llewellyn John among nine on list After 20 years without an award, Attorney General, Basil Williams, and three women were among a list of nine…